In today’s world, so many people get affected by cancer. There are various types of cancer treatment. The kinds of treatment that you take will depend on the kind of cancer you have. Many people with cancer have simply one treatment. But most maximum people have a combination of treatments, such as surgery from chemotherapy or radiation therapy.
When you need cancer treatment, you have a lot to see and study. It is normal to feel confused and doubtful. But, talking with a doctor and reading about the types of treatment you may have can help you know more in control. One of the best oncologist in Delhi, Dr. Vikas Goswami, suggests the types of cancer treatments to reduce the risk of cancer.
- Surgery – It is a treatment that is used to treat patients from cancer disease. In this treatment, the surgeon removes the cancer tumor from the body and inserts healthy tissue surrounding it to prevent the spread of cancer in other body parts (tissue and lymph nodes). The purpose of surgery is to treat cancer and get successful results which may vary on the size, stage, and location of cancer disease. Surgery gives good outcomes if it is performed in the early stages of cancer. Sometimes surgery does not remove the entire tumor from the body just because tumor mass is sizable, surgery is used to reduce the size of the tumor so that it can be destroyed by chemotherapy or radiotherapy which is the next step of types of cancer treatments.
- Radiation Therapy – It is a type of cancer treatment that consists of a high amount of intense energy to kill the cells of cancer. Radiation therapy kills the cells of cancer and slows the growth of their DNA. Cancer cells whose DNA is damaged on its further side can stop repairing or dividing and then die. When the damaged cells died, they got destroyed and removed from the body. Radiation therapy cannot kill the cells of cancer instantly, it takes days or weeks of treatment of DNA damaged enough and then cells of cancer keep dying for a week or months after radiation therapy ends.
- Chemotherapy – It is a type of cancer treatment in which surgeons can give drugs to kill cells of cancer. Chemotherapy not kills cells of cancer but also slows the growth of larger cells which can grow and divide quickly. Damaged large cells may cause some side effects such as hair loss, nausea, mouth sores. You cannot judge from side effects whether chemotherapy is working or not, side effects have nothing to do with how good chemotherapy is working in the body. Chemotherapy often takes time such as 6 months or a year. Surgeons usually give drugs in breaks so the patient has time to recover for the next treatment.
- Targeted Therapy – It is a type of cancer treatment that targets specific genes or proteins to control the growth of cancer cells. In most types of cancer patients will have to target a specific drug, they can be treated from those drugs. But in most types of cancer patients tumors have to be tested to see that they contain targets on which have drugs. Targeted therapy can be used by two types that is Small-molecule drug which is very much small in size so it can easily enter inside and target cells. This can be given in the form of a pill. Monoclonal antibodies in which researchers have to design some antibodies to target a specific gen which is found in cancer cells. This can be given by a needle in a blood vein. The most common side effect of this therapy is diarrhea and liver problems.
- Immunotherapy – It is a type of cancer treatment that can help the immune system to fight against cancer. The immune system can help the body to fight from cancer and other diseases also. Immunotherapy uses substances that are made from living organisms to treat cancer. This type of therapy is durable and can be maintained after treatment is completed. Immunotherapy is the last option for patients who are at the final stage of cancer. The most common side effects of this therapy can affect the immune system and skin reaction which includes redness, itchiness, pain, swelling.
If you want any type of treatment or advice related to cancer then please contact Dr. Vikas Goswani, who is one of the most reputed oncologist in Ghaziabad and Delhi NCR.